Moulin Rouge! The Musical is Nominated for 14 Tony Awards Including Best Musical
Today it was announced that Moulin Rouge! The Musical has been nominated for 14 Tony Awards including:
- Best Musical
- Best Direction of a Musical – Alex Timbers
- Best Book of a Musical – John Logan
- Best Choreography – Sonya Tayeh
- Best Orchestrations – Justin Levine with Matt Stine, Katie Kresek and Charlie Rosen
- Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical – Karen Olivo
- Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical – Aaron Tveit
- Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical – Robyn Hurder
- Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical – Danny Burstein
- Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical – Sahr Ngaujah
- Best Scenic Design in a Musical – Derek McLane
- Best Costume Design in a Musical – Catherine Zuber
- Best Lighting Design in a Musical – Justin Townsend
- Best Sound Design of a Musical – Peter Hylenski
“Moulin Rouge! The Musical is so grateful to The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing for providing the chance to come together as theater lovers and theater creators in this history-making moment,” said Carmen Pavlovic, Producer of Moulin Rouge! The Musical and CEO of Global Creatures.
“This year’s Tony Award nominees share the most unusual of bonds. At such a difficult time for so many people, including the thousands who make up the industry behind the scenes, we welcome this opportunity to take a moment to celebrate the remarkable achievements of our finest artists.”
“We are humbled by these nominations and honored every day to stand with the Broadway community. We look forward to joining all the nominees to acknowledge our industry’s work and everything Broadway is rebuilding itself to be in the future.”
The 2020 Tony Awards will be presented at a virtual ceremony on a date to be announced. Click here to view the full nominations.
The first musical of the 2019/2020 Broadway season, Moulin Rouge! The Musical opened to critical acclaim at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre on July 25, 2019.
Earlier this year, Moulin Rouge! The Musical won the 2020 Drama League Award for Outstanding Production of a Musical and Danny Burstein received the organization’s highest acting honor, Distinguished Performance.
The production also received ten Outer Critics Circle Award Honor citations, including New Broadway Musical, Director of a Musical (Alex Timbers), Choreography (Sonya Tayeh), Orchestrations (Justin Levine with Matt Stine, Katie Kresek, and Charlie Rosen), Actress in a Musical (Karen Olivo), Actor in a Musical (Aaron Tveit), Featured Actor in a Musical (Danny Burstein), Scenic Design (Derek McLane), Costume Design (Catherine Zuber), Lighting Design (Justin Townsend) and Sound Design (Peter Hylenski). The show earned five Drama Desk Awards for Choreography (Sonya Tayeh), Set Design for a Musical (Derek McLane), Costume Design for a Musical (Catherine Zuber), Lighting Design for a Musical (Justin Townsend) and Sound Design for a Musical (Peter Hylenski).
- This is the first Tony Award nomination for Aaron Tveit, Robyn Hurder, Sonya Tayeh, Justin Levine, Matt Stine, Katie Kresek and Charlie Rosen.
- This is the third Tony nomination for Alex Timbers.
- John Logan won a Tony in 2010 for his play Red.
- This is Derek McLane’s fifth nomination, having won once for his designs for 33 Variations in 2009.
- This is Catherine Zuber’s fifteenth nomination, having won seven times for her designs for The Light in the Piazza in 2005, Awake and Sing! in 2006, The Coast of Utopia in 2007, South Pacific in 2008, The Royal Family in 2010, The King and I in 2015 and My Fair Lady in 2018.
- This is Justin Townsend’s third Tony nomination.
- Peter Hylenski has received eight Tony nominations.
- Karen Olivo won the Tony Award in 2009 for her performance in West Side Story.
- This is Danny Burstein’s seventh Tony nomination.
- This is Sahr Ngaujah’s second Tony nomination.
ABOUT MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL
“Spectacular! Euphoric! In Moulin Rouge! The Musical, life is beautiful,” raves Ben Brantley of The New York Times. “Moulin Rouge! The Musical is a fabulous new musical. The high begins the instant you walk into the theatre,” says Johnny Oleksinski of the NY Post. And Leah Greenblatt of Entertainment Weekly concludes that “it’s easy to believe that Moulin Rouge! The Musical could run for 50 years.”
Moulin Rouge! The Musical is directed by Tony Award nominee Alex Timbers and with a book by Tony Award winner John Logan, choreography by Sonya Tayeh and music supervision, orchestrations and arrangements by Justin Levine.
The design team for Moulin Rouge! The Musical includes Tony Award winner Derek McLane (sets), Tony Award winner Catherine Zuber (costumes), two-time Tony Award nominee Justin Townsend (lighting), Tony Award nominee Peter Hylenski (sound), Drama Desk Award winner David Brian Brown (wig and hair design), Sarah Cimino (Make-up design) and Matt Stine (Music Producer). Casting is by Jim Carnahan and Stephen Kopel.
Enter a world of splendor and romance, of eye-popping excess, of glitz, grandeur and glory! A world where Bohemians and aristocrats rub elbows and revel in electrifying enchantment. Pop the champagne and prepare for the spectacular spectacular…Welcome to Moulin Rouge! The Musical.
Baz Luhrmann’s iconic film comes to life onstage, remixed in a new musical mash-up extravaganza. Moulin Rouge! The Musical is a theatrical celebration of Truth, Beauty, Freedom, and – above all – Love. Moulin Rouge! The Musical is more than a musical; it is a state of mind.
As in the film, Moulin Rouge! The Musical celebrates some of the greatest popular music of the last 50 years. The stage musical features many of the iconic songs from the movie and also includes recent hits released since the movie premiered 19 years ago.
Global Creatures (Carmen Pavlovic and Gerry Ryan OAM) serves as Lead Producer and Bill Damaschke is the executive producer. General management is by Foresight Theatrical.
Co-producers of the Broadway production include Aaron Lustbader, Hunter Arnold, Darren Bagert, Erica Lynn Schwartz/Matt Picheny/Stephanie Rosenberg, Adam Blanshay Productions/Nicolas & Charles Talar, Iris Smith, Aleri Entertainment, CJ ENM, Sophie Qi/Harmonia Holdings, AF Creative Media/International Theatre Fund, Baz & Co./Len Blavatnik, Endeavor Content, Tom & Pam Faludy, Gilad-Rogowsky/InStone Productions, John Gore Organization, Mehr-BB Entertainment GmbH, Spencer Ross, Nederlander Presentations/IPN, Eric Falkenstein/Suzanne Grant, Jennifer Fischer, Peter May/Sandy Robertson, Triptyk Studios, Carl Daikeler/Sandi Moran, Desantis-Baugh Productions, Red Mountain Theatre Company/42ND.CLUB, Candy Spelling/Tulchin Bartner, Roy Furman and Jujamcyn Theatres.
Released by 20th Century Fox, Baz Luhrmann’s MOULIN ROUGE! premiered at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival. At the 74th Academy Awards, the film was nominated for eight Oscars, including Best Picture, and won two.
The Moulin Rouge of Paris is a dazzling and spectacular universe, the symbol of the Parisian way of celebrating since 1889. Starting life as a popular cabaret and dance hall, the venue became an iconic music hall in the Roaring Twenties, and then a theatre where numerous famous French and international artistes stepped out into the limelight.
The Grammy-nominated Moulin Rouge! The Musical Original Broadway Cast Recording, produced by Baz Luhrmann, Justin Levine, Matt Stine & Alex Timbers, is now available by Baz Luhrmann’s label, House of Iona, and RCA Records. The album debut at #1 on Billboard’s Cast Album chart.